Our formulations are a pleasure to use, with luscious textures, effective formulations and delicious fragrances that transport you. We carefully select each ingredient for maximum efficacy and have banned the use of over 100 cosmetic ingredients in our formulations, while remaining at the forefront of developments in science and new standards around the world to ensure human and environmental health and safety. We work with partners who support our commitment to sustainable sourcing and science-backed safe biomimetics.
CRUELTY-FREE & VEGAN
- PETA Certified No Animal Testing
- All products are PETA certified vegan except Brazilian Kiss Cupuaçu Lip Butters which contain beeswax (Sol de Janeiro will be 100% vegan by January 1, 2023)
- All products are dermatologist tested for skin irritation, allergies and sensitization
- All products are tested for effectiveness and formula integrity throughout their lives
- Food Drug and Cosmetics Act compliant
- California Prop 65 Compliant
- Toxic-Free Cosmetics Act Compliant
- EU and UK Cosmetic Regulation compliant
- Hawaiian Reef Bill compliant
MINERAL OIL FREE
NO No parabens; no formaldehyde; no formaldehyde-releasing agents; no triclosan or triclocarban; no benzalkonium chloride or benzethonium chloride
NO phthalates (DBP, DEHP, DEP) or bisphenols (BPA)
NO mercury or mercury containing ingredients
NO non-biodegradable microbeads
NO Avobenzone, Benzophenone + derivatives, Oxybenzone, or Octinoxate; Sunscreens must be Coral Reef Safe
Phenoxyethanol only present in safe amounts (less than 1% of total formula)
NO sulfate-based cleansers (including sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate)
NO Aluminum Salts
NO ethanolamines including Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), monoethanolamine (MEA)
NO toluene, hexane, benzene, methylcellosolve, butoxyethanol, Methoxyethanol
NO Palm Oil
NO Acrylates: Ethyl Acrylate, Ethyl Methacrylate, Methyl Methacrylate, Butyl Methacrylate, Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate, Tetrahydrofurfuryl Methacrylate, Trimethylolpropane Trimethacrylate
NO Acrylamides: Polyacrylamide, Acrylamide
NO Styrenes: Bromostyrene, DEA-Styrene/Acrylates/Divinylbenzene Copolymer, Sodium Styrene/Divinylbenzene Copolymer, Styrene Oxide, Styrene
We never use cyclic silicones – these are the traditional silicones that form an unwanted layer over the hair or skin that can often prevent the great ingredients in products from being able to penetrate and may be bad for the environment.
This means we don’t use Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4), Cyclopentasiloxane (D5), Cyclohexasiloxane (D6) or Cyclomethicone
We use some high-quality clean silicones since they are lightweight skin moisturizers and help prevent breakage in hair. Because they are water-rinseable, they can be washed away with gentle, sulfate-free cleansers and shampoos so they don’t build-up on skin, hair or in our water systems.
- All FDA-approved
- No coal tar derived colorants
- No Carmine, Red 2, Red 28, Red 40, Blue 6 or Carbon Black
ALLERGENS & IRRITANTS
- No Talc
- No Mineral Oil, Petroleum Jelly or Petrolatum
- No Resorcinol
- No Urea
- No Hydroquinone
- No Retinyl Palmitate
Our mission is to use sustainable and recyclable material whenever possible and to lower our impact on the earth.
We hope you find this a helpful resource! If you have any questions, we’re here.