Birthdays are a big deal in Brazil - they're filled with singing, dancing, lots of laughter, and of course, all things gostoso (delicious)!
Our beloved Brazilian Bum Bum Cream turns 5 this weekend, so what better way to celebrate than to bake traditional Brazilian dessert - Bolo de Brigadeiro!
Camila, Founding Member of Sol de Janeiro, teaches you how to make the most delicious chocolate cake - the Brazilian way!
Here's what you'll need to make your own at home:
2 cups - Sugar
1 cup - Cocoa
1 3/4 cup - Flour
1 cup - Buttermilk
1/2 cup - Vegetable Oil
1 cup - Coffee
2 - Eggs
1 tsp - salt
1 tsp - Vanilla Extract
1 tsp - Baking Powder
1 tsp - Baking Soda
2 cans - Sweetened Condensed Milk (and equal parts of Heavy Whipping Cream)
2 tbs - Butter
6 tbs - Cocoa
2 - Egg Yolks
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Making the Cake:
- Put all of your dry ingredients and wet ingredients (minus the coffee) into 2 separate bowls.
- Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Slowly start to mix in the wet ingredients.
- Lastly, pour in the coffee and mix until fully combined.
- Pour mix into a springform pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Making the Brigadeiro:
- Combine all ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Keep stirring (in order not to scorch the brigadeiro) until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture is thickened into a pudding-like consistency, remove from heat.
- Pour into a separate bowl, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Once your cake is cooled, cut your cake into 2 tiers.
- Pour half of your brigadeiro on top of the bottom layer (this will be the center filling), and spread evenly.
- Top with the other cake layer.
- *Optional (but highly recommended!) - to ensure a very moist cake, pour some milk on top of the top cake portion before pouring on the remaining brigadeiro.
- Pour the rest of the brigadeiro on top of the cake, and let it cover the sides.
You're all done, and ready for a celebration!
We hope you try it at home, and be sure to post and tag us so we can see your delicious Brazilian treat!